[E3 2018] Resident Evil 2 Remake releasing January 25th 2019
Capcom shows off their upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake for the first time during the Sony E3 2018 Press Conference. Launches January 25th 2019 on PC, Xbox One and PS4.
It's been almost 20 years since Resident Evil 2 hit our consoles, and soon we'll be able to enjoy a remastered version of the game as it's heading to PC, Xbox One and PS4 on January 25th 2019. This updated version of the game will support higher resolutions (including 4k), more realistic characters, a new "over-the-top" shoulder camera and modern controls.
The Resident Evil series has been going for over 20 years, and while some games have been a little lacking (we're looking at you Resident Evil 6) there are a number of titles in the franchise which have been masterpieces of storytelling and gameplay. In 1998 we were given Resident EVil 2, which took the fight to Racoon City as we fought the virus outbreak by controlling either Leon S Kennedy or Claire Redfield, and unlike the original game it had branching paths for the player depending on who they controlled.
We also got our first look at some gameplay footage which sees our hero Leon stumble into a Zombie attack on a local man who is fighting for his life. The gameplay demo also shows off the lovely Claire and some of the horrifying new enemies we'll encounter.
Development for the Resident Evil 2 Remake started in 2015 and Capcom Producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi had this to say about the community's passion for the game:
The press and fan reaction to Resident Evil 2 when we said ‘We Do It’ in 2015 has been overwhelming. We’ve been very eager to unveil the new game to the world this week. We want fans to see the reimagining of Resident Evil 2 not only captures the magic of the beloved original, but also expands it to deliver a richer experience. The first look at E3 is just a taste of what’s to come.
Resident Evil 2 Remake Gallery
If you need even more from the game, you can take a look at 8 brand new screenshots to keep your thirst for zombie flesh at bay until the release next year!
Resident Evil 2 Features
- A spine-chilling reimagining of a horror classic - Based on the original PlayStation console release in 1998, the new game has been completely rebuilt from the ground up for a deeper narrative experience.
- A whole new perspective – New over-the-shoulder camera mode and modernized control scheme creates a more modern take on the survival horror experience and offers players a trip down memory lane with the original gameplay modes from the 1998 release.
- Terrifyingly realistic visuals – Built on Capcom’s proprietary RE Engine, Resident Evil 2 delivers breathtakingly photorealistic visuals in 4K whilst stunning lighting creates an up - close, intense and atmospheric experience as players roam the corridors of the Raccoon City Police Department (RPD).
- Face the grotesque hordes – Zombies are brought to life with a horrifyingly realistic wet gore effect as they react in real time taking instant visible damage , making every bullet count.
- Iconic series defining gameplay – Engage in frenzied combat with enemies, explore dark menacing corridors, solve puzzles to access areas and collect and use items discovered around the environment in a terrifying constant fight for survival.
- See favorite characters in a whole new light - Join rookie police officer Leon S. Kennedy on his first day in the job and college student Claire Redfield, who is searching for her brother amidst a terrifying zombie epidemic.
- Step into the rookie shoes of both heroes - Enjoy separately playable campaigns for both Leon and Claire , allowing players to see the story from both characters’ perspective.
Resident Evil 2 will be coming to PC, Xbox One and PS4 on January 25th 2019.